Are you aware that hundreds of harmful chemicals are allowed to be added to our personal care products? This is an industry that is not regulated. These harmful chemicals are being absorbed into our bodies and wreaking havoc on our systems. Just as we look at our food labels to see what we are putting in our bodies, we need to do the same with our personal care products. Many of the chemicals found in our make-ups, shampoos, hand soaps, lotions, toothpastes, mouthwash, perfumes, and colognes are actually BANNED in many other countries. These chemical have been linked to various health problems including cancer, Alzheimers, asthma, ADHD, kidney and liver disease, respiratory disease, infertility, dermatitis, allergies, and endocrine disrupters. The average woman exposes herself to OVER 500 Chemicals EVERY DAY before they even leave the home!
Young Living takes this very serious and has created a line of products that you can feel good about using every day. Young Living prides itself in their ability to use therapeutic grade essential oils in their line of personal care products to carry out the same benefits and actions as the harsh chemicals. Let’s take a look at some of these chemicals individually. This is far from an all inclusive list.
- About 85% of cosmetics contain parabéns. Parabens are widely used preservatives that prevent the growth of bacteria, mold and yeast in cosmetic products. Although that sounds great, the problem is that parabens were found to be xenoestrogens-agents that mimic estrogen in the body. This estrogen disruption is linked to breast cancer (they have actually been found in malignant breast tumors) and reproductive issues. Parabens can be found in our makeup, body washes, deodorants, and facial cleansers.
Young Living’s body and shower gel is Paraben Free
- Synthetic Colors are EVERYWHERE! If you look at your labels and see FD&C or D&C this is representing an artificial color that has been added to your products. These letters and these colors are derived from petroleum and coal tar sources. Synthetic colors are suspected to be human carcinogens, a skin irritant and linked to ADHD in children. These have been banned in Europe. (Just as a thought think about the number of foods our children consume with these dyes and colors in them and the incredible rise of ADHD…..Just saying…. this is scary)
- Frangrance….What does that mean? The truth is they don’t have to disclose that information to you as it is protected under a company’s “secret formula,” and it can contain hundreds of harmful chemical compounds. Fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and negative effects on the reproductive system. Toluene is included in fragrances and is a known neurotoxin that causes loss of muscle, brain damage headaches, memory loss, and speech, hearing and vision problems. Frangrances are found in products such as perfume, cologne, conditioner, shampoo, body wash and moisturizers.
Essential oils: Nothing Synthetic! Nothing Harmful! Known Health Benefits When Worn As a Perfume.
- A group of chemicals used in hundreds of products to increase the flexibility and softness of plastics. Phthalates are commonly found in our nail polish, perfumes, lotions, deodorants, moisturizers and hair spray. They are known to be endocrine disruptors and have been linked to increased risk of breast cancer, early breast development in girls, and reproductive birth defects in males and females. Phthalates are not always disclosed as they can be part of our “fragrance” make up and therefore hidden.
Deodorants that are Phthalate Free
- Tricolson is a widely used antimicrobial chemical that’s a known endocrine disruptor — especially thyroid and reproductive hormones, and a skin irritant. Studies raise concerns that triclosan contributes to the rise of bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics like MRSA. It has been banned in Europe and now different states throughout the USA have started banning it as well. Tricolson can be found in toothpastes, antibacterial soaps and deodorants.
Young Living’s soaps are Triclosan Free
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) / Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
- This surfactant can be found in more than 90 percent of personal care and cleaning products (think foaming products). It is probably the most dangerous ingredient used in skin and hair-care products and toothpastes. It is used to degrease engines and floors. It is Banned in Europe and Canada. It is a pollutant and pesticide. It is corrosive and is a penetration ENHANCERthat breaks down skin’s protective carrier bringing other chemicals deeper into the body. It is an irritant causing breakdown of oral tissue and canker sores, and causes allergic dermatitis to the skin. As a mutagenic it is shown to cause DNA mutations. I can cause eye damage to the cornea, and in the presence of other certain chemicals, it conform Carcinogenic Nirosamines (which have been linked to deaths caused by alszheimer’s, Parkinson’s and type 2 diabetes)
Thieves Toothpaste Doesn’t Contain Any SLS or SLES
- Propylene glycol is used in cleaners, shampoos, lotions, deodorants and toothpastes. It keeps deodorants from drying out and is the main ingredient in antifreeze. The EPA (environment protection agency) considers this toxic and requires the that gloves and goggles be used when disposing of and burying it! It si linked to kidney damage, liver damage, dermatitis, and can damage cell membranes.
Young Living’s lotions are Propylene Glycol Free
- Most mouthwashes have higher alcohol content then most alcoholic beverages. Content of over 25% can cause cancer of the mouth, tongue, and throat.
Thieves mouthwash a safe and more effective alternative
Why Young Living
All of Young Living’s beauty and personal care products are made with therapeutic grade essential oils, free from harmful chemicals. You can actually feel good about using these products. Wouldn’t it be nice going to bed every night knowing that you don’t have chemicals left on your skin attacking your body and your immune system and possibly causing cancer. Rather, what you have left is the soothing aroma and healing properties of essential oils. Leaving you feeling like you have just left the spa. WHO DOESN’T LOVE THAT?!? Young Living’s Personal Care products include: anti-aging, hair care, body care, oral care, life balance (for the extra hormonal balance we need as we age) and kid’s care. Check out the Chemical Free blog for even more chemicals found in our everyday products.